There was a time when passion and work were two different things for most people. However, with digitization taking over our lives, more and more people are making a living with their passion. One such example is a career in social media. Social media used to be something people would indulge in during their free time. But over the past decade, social media has emerged as one of the strongest marketing tools in the industry.
Most businesses need to maintain a strong social media presence because it helps in connecting them with their audience or clients. As a result, businesses, small or big, seek people to put in charge of their social media handles. These employees not only handle the marketing needs of the business but also work on improving their reach, client base as well as managing PR.
Since this rise in demand, more and more people are looking to make a career in social media. So if you are someone who is social media savvy, keep reading to discover how you can build your career doing the thing you love.
Types Of Jobs In Social Media
The job possibilities in social media are endless. If you want to build a career in social media, then you will most likely be involved in managing social media accounts across multiple platforms or organizing publicity campaigns that will be marketed through social media platforms or composing online content that has an interactive element.
Let’s take a look at the different types of social media jobs:
Social Media Specialist
A Social Media Specialist works closely with the sales and marketing team of a company. They are responsible for developing and implementing social media strategies that will not only increase online presence and brand awareness but also improve their marketing efforts and sales. Here are best resources to help you to know more about this job:
- Roles and Responsibilities of a Social Media Executive – Digitalready.co
- Snapshot: A Day in the Life of a Social Media Specialist – Page1solutions.com
- 10 Daily Routines of a Successful Social Media Manager – Cloohawk.com
- My Daily Routine As A Social Media Manager – Mnd-marketing.com
- What does a Social Media Manager do – Postcron.com
- Social Media Manager Daily Tasks – Socialdraft.com
A Brand Manager, as the name suggests, is responsible for managing brand integrity across all of the company’s marketing initiatives. They are responsible for ensuring that the products and services offered by the company resonate with their existing as well as potential customers. As a result, brand managers are constantly updating themselves about the latest market/industry trends as well as any new or upcoming competition. Mentioned below are best resources to help you to know more about this job:
- 5 Blogs Every Brand Manager Should Read • Premium and Luxury Branding – Branduniq.com
- The Life of a Brand Manager – Expectations vs Reality – Planable.io
- A Day in the Life of a Brand Manager – Careerprofiles.com
- A Day in the Life of a Brand Manager – Oxbridgeacademy.edu.za
- Brand Manager Job Description – Paladinstaff.com
- What is a Brand Manager: Job Description – Freshgigs.ca
Engagement Coordinator / Online Reputation Manager
The job of an engagement coordinator/ online reputation manager lies beyond answering social media messages. Engagement coordinators help the company by devising and executing marketing strategies that increase their online engagement with existing as well as potential clients. They work on improving the engagement numbers, for instance, the number of people replying to a post, or interacting with a tweet, etc.
- The Importance of Online Reputation Management – Proceedinnovative.com
- Everything You Need to Know About Online Reputation Management for Small Businesses – Rialtomarketing.com
- 11 Tips For Successful Online Reputation Management – Kvrwebtech.com
- What is Online Reputation Management? Definitive Guide to Online Reputation Management – Geekschip.com
Social Media Manager
The Social Media Manager is responsible for every content that is posted on each of the company’s social media handles. Their main job is to promote the company’s products and services to bring in more customers through social media. They plan their outreach and work on increasing the company’s online presence. So, their focus is on driving more traffic to their social media handles.
- What Exactly Does a “Social Media Manager” Do? – Sociality.io
- Social Media Manager Definition – Blog.loomly.com
- 11 Important Skills for Social Media Managers -Blog.hootsuite.com
Skills Required To Work In Social Media
Up until a few years ago, social media marketing and interactions could not be measured. But now, there are many real-time tracking options where you can see the impact of your social media campaigns. But in order to understand those numbers or data, you need solid analytical skills.
- How to improve your analytical skills to make smarter life decisions – Agileleanlife.com
- 5 Tips to Improve your Analytical Skills – Onlineassignmentshelp.com
- 7 Steps to Improve your Analytical Thinking Skills – Talentbridge.com/
- What is Analytical Thinking Ability, How to Develop? – Mentalup.co
- Tips and Tricks to Improve Your Analytical Skills – Britishcourseworkwriters.co.uk
Networking skills are an essential part of building a career in social media. In order to work on a company’s online presence or promoting products and services, you need an online network that can help you reach sources that you might not tap into on your own. Hence, it is important to learn how to network as a social media expert.
- 10 tips to improve your networking skills – Claremulliganconsulting.ie
- 11 Tips to Help You Network Better! – Kangan.edu.au
- 3 tips to polish your networking skills – Sme10x.com
This goes without saying but basic knowledge of graphic designing can take you a long way when working on social media. Your job is to create content that more and more people would like to engage in. As a result, you can create infographics, templates, Instagram posts, etc that are not regular stock content found on most websites.
- Learn Graphic Design From The Experts – Designwizard.com
- Graphic, Web & Logo Design Blog for Designers – Justcreative.com
- Learn Graphic Design and Freelancing Blog – Mariahalthoff.com
- Graphic Design Training | Best Graphic Design Software to Learn for Beginner – Admecindia.co.in
- Graphic Design Basics: Tips for Beginner Designers – Designyourway.net
Even though marketers may not need to code, they are expected to have basic knowledge of HTML. This is mainly because HTML is the foundation for many digital marketing tools. For instance, Hubspot, Google Analytics, Hootsuite, WordPress, etc all require some sort of HTML coding. Hence learning the basics for HTML is quite necessary.
- HTML & CSS Tutorials – I Can Build a Blog – Icanbuildablog.com
- A Blogger’s Guide to HTML and CSS Design – Designyourownblog.com
- HTML Tutorial for Beginners 101 (Including HTML5 Tags) – Websitesetup.org
- Learn HTML – Code The Web – Codetheweb.blog
- HTML Tutorial for Beginners – HTML Basics – Ssdntech.com
Common Interview Questions
While there is a huge variety of social media jobs in the industry today, there are a few common interview questions that every person working in social media gets asked during their interviews. Hence, preparing for such questions in advance can help you be more prepared for your interview. It will not only boost your confidence but also calm your nerves when sitting in front of the interviewer.
Here are a few important resources to help you prepare:
- Top 20 Social Media Interview Questions & Answers Guide – Digitalvidya.com
- 25 Interview Questions for Your Next Social Media Manager – Sendible.com
- Top 15 Social Media Interview Questions & Answers – Career.guru99.com
- 5 Interview Questions Any Social Media Manager Should be Prepared to Answer – Gogig.com
- Top 55 Digital Marketing Interview Questions and Answers – Avivdigital.in
- Top Social Media Marketing Interview Questions – Webtrainings.in
- Social Media Interview Questions to Excel in your Job Interview – Digitalacademyindia.com
Tips And Tricks To Ace The Interview
Of course, preparing for interview questions is just one part of your preparation, here are a few additional tips to help you ace your social media interview:
- Tips for Acing Your Social Media Job Interview – Socialmediatoday.com
- 10 frequently asked questions in a Social Media Marketing jobs interview – Edupristine.com
- Top 25 Social Media Interview Questions & Answers Guide – Rakeshtechsolutions.com
- Social Media Analyst Interview Questions – Glider.ai
- Top 21 Social Media Marketing Interview Questions and Answers – Coursedom.com
- 5 Tips for Preparing for a Digital Marketing Interview -Freshgigs.ca
Since the rise in demand for social media specialists, bug companies are willing to pay a fortune to get the right candidate on board. The starting salary that you are offered as a fresher is highly influenced by your skillset. Of course, if you are more experienced then the major factor deciding your salary will be your expertise and practical knowledge.
A social media specialist can earn anywhere between INR 15k to 50k depending on the aforementioned factors. With relevant experience and change of profile, this salary pay scale will also increase. For instance, a managerial position can easily land you a package of around INR 10 LPA. In fact, most companies don’t have a bar for the right candidate. Hence, more than anything, focus on improving your skills and gaining practical experience and knowledge.
- Social Media Career Growth in 2019: What You Need to Know – Socialmediacollege.com
- What is a Good Social Media Manager Salary? – Socialmediapro.com